On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM, David Brodbeck <g...@gull.us> wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2010, at 7:33 AM, Alejandro Imass wrote:
>>
>> I am not a religious man myself, but if the logo had any religious
>> meaning to me I am sure I could better understand Victor's issues.
>> Seems silly, but if it was the other way around I'm sure _many_ people
>> here would probably concur in the discomfort of using an OS who's logo
>> was some sort of religion symbol, say a Christian Cross, Egyptian
>> Ankh, David Star, Muslim Moon, or a Satanic Encircled Five Point Star.
>
> Well, to me it's about intent.
>
> I doubt the FreeBSD logo was picked with the intent of sticking a thumb in
> the eye of anyone religious.  I also think it's pretty clear it wasn't
> picked by someone who identified with Satanism.
>
> On the other hand, if someone uses a Jesus Fish or a cross as a logo,
> they're usually trying to make a political point.  *That* would make me
> uncomfortable -- not the symbol itself, but the sentiment I knew was behind
> it.

Precisely my point. But it's hard to overcome our judgements in order
to evaluate a problem 'objectively', because there is no such thing
per se in philosophical matters, but rather it's the more subjective
points of view you have, the more objective you become.

So my point in all this is that at first it sounds really hilarious
from the modern/western science-man perspective (the general
population of the project and this mailing list), but as you stated
previously we would immediately react to a symbol if that symbol to us
represented an intention/sentiment/political statement _regardless_ of
the actual intention.

Suppose for a moment that BSD would have forked to FBSD first in the
East, say by a group of Indian Buddhist computer science students, and
their choice of logo was a funny cartoon of a smiling Buddha holding a
Swastika above it's head. The intention here would matter little to
the common Jew, as he would probably feel immediately uncomfortable
regardless if he knew what the Buddha was, or that the Swastika is a
sacred Buddhist symbol. He would just see a semi-naked fat Nazi. Even
if he knew all these things it would still make him somewhat
uncomfortable of using this great technology.

Again, my intention to butt in here was just to point out that many
times we find things hilarious, a simple analogy can help us better
understand that it may very serious to others, such is life though,
and the 'others' should also make an effort to understand us. Sadly,
our judgements almost always get in the way of seeing beyond each
other's myopic viewpoint.

Back to the issue at hand (and actually on-topic), I personally don't
like the circle with cones and don't think that FBSD should move away
from the little red Devil or Daemon or whatever you wanna call it
(does he have a name?). In _my_ judgment, for example, the circle with
cones looks like some sort of sexual fetish, but then again we're all
free to interpret it as we like, and who am I, as a relative newcomer
to FBSD to form an opinion anyway :)

Best,
Alejandro Imass