On 27 July 2010 16:13, Erik Trulsson <ertr1...@student.uu.se> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 03:02:48PM +0100, Michael Doyle wrote:
> > I would like to upgrade a server that is currently running version 6.4
> > up to version 7.3
> > Having looked at /usr/src/UPDATING on a 7.3 machine, I don't see any
> > major problems flagged.
> >
> > Given that I have console access to this machine, and I want to
> > preserve the user directories (it's our mail server)
> > would I be better off doing a source upgrade or a binary upgrade?
>
> Since you are running 6.4-STABLE, I think you will have to do a source
> upgrade. AFAIK binary upgrades are only supported when going from one
> -RELEASE to another (so 6.4-RELEASE to 7.3-RELEASE should be possible
> with a binary upgrade, 6.4-STABLE to 7.3-RELEASE would not.)
>

> > In the past, I've usually done a wipe-and-reinstall when moving
> > between major version numbers
> > but I would rather avoid that this time around.
> >
> > Also, would people recommend staying with version 7.3 or jumping all
> > the way to version 8.1 ?
>
> Unless you have some specific reason to use 7.3 you might as well go
> all the way up to 8.1. You should probably do it in two steps though -
> first from 6.4 to 7.3 and then from 7.3 to 8.1
>
> Just remember to make good backups first, just in case something goes
> wrong.  (There should not be any serious problems involved - the source
> upgrades I have done from 6.x to 7.x and later from 7.x to 8.x were
> fairly uneventful - but you never know what might happen.)
>

> --
> <Insert your favourite quote here.>
> Erik Trulsson
> ertr1...@student.uu.se

I did a remote upgrade of our dns caches at work (24 boxes) from various 6.x
builds. I did it all from source, and in two steps, once to 7-STABLE then
once to 8-STABLE. It went fine in most cases. One thing i noticed though was
some of the boxes were in dangerously dedicated disk layout. The dev tree in
6.x and 7.x had devices in the format of /dev/ad0a and /dev/ad0s1a. However
8.x only presented /dev/ad0a devices, like you would predict. Whoever
origionally built the boxes had s1 type in the fstab which caught me out on
a few of them. Not ideal on remote boxes. Other than that though the
upgrades we nice and easy.

Make sure you recompile all your ports though with something like
portmaster. After you have done that do a make delete-old delete-old-libs
and delete-old-dirs from usr/src, once your done to clean up the base
distro.

here's my mergemaster conf to speed things up a little if you aren't
familier with it. Just make sure the ignore files is tailored to you then
run mergemaster with no flags

$ cat /etc/mergemaster.rc
AUTO_INSTALL=YES
AUTO_UPGRADE=YES
PRESERVE_FILES=yes
#IGNORE_FILES="/etc/rc.d/*"

PRESERVE_FILES_DIR=/var/mergemaster/preserved-files-`date +%y%m%d-%H%M%S`

IGNORE_FILES="/etc/crontab /etc/fstab /etc/group /etc/hosts /etc/inetd.conf
/etc/make.conf /etc/master.passwd /etc/motd /etc/newsyslog.conf
/etc/ntp.conf /etc/ntp.drift /etc/profile /etc/rc.conf /etc/resolv.conf
/etc/services /etc/shells /etc/syslog.conf /etc/ssh/sshd_config
/etc/ssh/ssh_host_key /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key.pub /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
/etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub /etc/passwd /etc/rc.conf.local
/etc/zfs/exports /etc//namedb/named.conf /etc/periodic.conf /etc/hosts.allow
/etc/hosts /etc/pf.conf /etc/sysctl.conf /etc/make.conf /etc/src.conf
/etc/mail/aliases /etc/mail/mailer.conf /etc/remote"