awesome... thanks to all replies... i'll try the nox11 also.. those machines are only intended as servers so guis are not necessary... thanks...

Kevin Wilcox wrote:
On 28 July 2010 09:12, Steve Polyack <kor...@comcast.net> wrote:

We've always used the open-vm-tools port
(/usr/ports/emulators/open-vm-tools-nox11).  There is both an x11 and
"nox11" version, both of which work very well.  It also includes a handful
of other drivers and modules, including the memory balloon driver.

If you only intend on using the vmware-guestd, vmxnet, and/or vmmemctl
(memory ballon driver), then you can build with "-DWITHOUT_DNET
-DWITHOUT_ICU -DWITHOUT_FUSE" to eliminate a few more dependencies.

Steve - that's excellent advice. I'll try out open-vm-tools-nox11 on
one of my VMs this afternoon and see how it goes. Thanks!!

kmw