On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Tino Didriksen wrote:

> I have a dedicated server with 500GB monthly transfer limit, and I don't
> want to cross that limit. So, I want to impose an artificial maximum
> bandwidth, yet not until a certain threshold has been reached.

Check out ipa in ports and dummynet. I've had better (read more flexible)
experience with the latter. But unlike the first; which comes with good
examples and is self contianed; dummynet would require you to write some
shell/perl scripts, propably on a crontab which hourly access the
situation and throttle where appropriate. But unlike IPA dummynet can be
very selective; like wiht a firewall it is easy to except certain traffic
(on port, type, source, destination, etc) or extra curtail.

Dw