At 1:01 AM -0500 3/19/03, David Banning wrote:
If I install samba without cups, is it still possible to
print with samba?

I have a small network with a few win boxes and the samba
install is older.  It doesn't have cups.

I am just wondering, since samba now installs cups by default,
whether it is actually -needed- for win boxes to print to the
FreeBSD printers.

From my understanding of the samba port, it will use CUPS by default *if* cups is installed. Otherwise it still uses standard bsd-lpr printing.

There may be some environment variable that you'll have to set
when building the samba port if you do not want the samba port
to install the CUPS port.  But it definitely works, if you want
it to run that way.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]