On Friday, March 21, 2003, at 09:21 AM, Bill Moran wrote:

Michelle Weeks wrote:
I am running 4.6.2 Release and received the following kernel message:
/tmp: optimization changed from TIME to SPACE
I'm not sure what this means?

It means your /tmp partition is getting full. When there is plenty of space, the system writes files very quickly, with little regard for minor amounts of space being wasted. When the disk fills up, the system switches to SPACE optimization, which makes saves take longer, but is much less likely to waste any space. Either delete some files, or get a larger partition for /tmp. With /tmp, it's very likely that there are a lot of files in there that could be deleted.

-- Bill Moran
Potential Technologies
http://www.potentialtech.com

Thank you for the clarification. I have a script running to delete files in the /tmp directory that I will change to run more often. Do I need to do anything to change the optimization back to time?

To Unsubscribe: send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message