On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 04:11:17 -0400, Scott Ballantyne <s...@ssr.com> wrote:

[snip]
Unfortunately I've hit a snag with X. I have an LG "Flatron" W2253, a
5750 graphics card and I have not been able to get them to work with X
at all.

Following the handbook's instructions:

Xorg -config xorg.conf.new

with and without the -retro option just give me a black screen from
which there is no escape. I have to log into the machine from
somewhere else on the network to reboot it. Killing the Xorg process
doesn't help.

So if you return to the tty that you started X from (maybe by Alt-F1) and hit Ctrl-C, that doesn't kill your X session? Reboot seems a bit drastic.

Following the instructions on widescreen monitors, I have extracted a
modeline from the log files:

[snip]

None of this has helped. If anyone can assist me, I would be very
grateful.

Thanks a lot,
Scott

I struggled with widescreen config for a while until I realized the Tao solution was best - have you tried starting X without any /etc/X11/xorg.conf at all?

Brian