> Is not "p1" compiled in kernel during make buildkernel operation?

I'm sure it is, but freebsd-update is a binary distribution system, and
doesn't build anything on the client.

> If yes, /boot/kernel of 8.1 and /boot/kernel 8.1-p1 must be different.
> So binary diff of /boot/kernel also must be installed during
> freebsd-update. It's my opinion. Why not?
>
> I think it's not reasonable to have updated system without actually be
> possible to know that it's really updated. And I think that if you are
> looking for real patch level of your OS, you will look at uname -a,
> not in newvers.sh file.
>
> Correct me if i'm wrong.

I believe part of this issue is that if the kernel isn't distributed with
a patch, then it needs to be represented somehow. I've heard of some
thoughts focusing on reflecting the patch as a sysctl value.