> .... since all the drives, cables and controllers are identical, I'm trying
> to figure out if there is something *else* I should be looking into for why
> smart would have an issue, but the rest of the OS has no issues with these
> drives.  (zfs is storing data, reports them all as online, etc). I looked
> into the smartctl code, and there definitely is a carve out for FreeBSD 8.1
> or later, but I don't know enough about the new internals to know if the is
> any kind of concern parsing more than 10 drives, etc.
Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

$ sudo smartctl -d atacam -i /dev/ada11
smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 family
Device Model:     ST31500341AS

Also, out of curiosity, are you using the ahci(4) driver or the siis(4)
driver?

Thank you - fantastic!

I tried the -d atacam before I sent the email, but I obviously specified it
incorrectly because I wrote the message anyway. This solves the issue, not sure
why it can't detect it.

To answer your follow up question, I started using just siis, but added ahci to
allow ahci functions. As far as I can tell, AHCI functions add on top of the
SIIS ones. The boot compact flash (not on the SIIS card) converted to ada from
ad once ahci was loaded.

DJ