On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 05:14:25PM -0400, Jon Radel wrote:
>  On 9/29/10 4:24 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
> >     Yes!  changing the line in main.cf lets things get thru to my
> >     server cleanly, thanks for the tip.  I still don't understand
> >     what's wrong with my DNS files.  Hopefully, other folk on-list
> >     will see what's messed up.
>
> Your domain registrar is having your dns delegated to 3 nameservers:
>
> thought.org.        86400    IN    NS    ns1.thought.org.
> thought.org.        86400    IN    NS    ns1.silvertree.org.
> thought.org.        86400    IN    NS    ns1.twisted4life.com.
> ;; Received 142 bytes from 2001:500:48::1#53(b2.org.afilias-nst.org)
> in 32 ms
>
> The last of the 3, ns1.twisted4life.com, is of the opinion that your
> domain doesn't exist, given that it has no authoritative data and
> refuses to do recursive lookups for the Internet at large.  I would
> suspect that this would result in the coming and going visibility
> that others have reported.  Basically, you don't exist a third of
> the time.
>
> You need to make sure that all the nameservers you list with your
> registrar are actually admitting to your existence and are getting
> up-to-date data.  I recall having this conversation with you before.
>
> --

        If we did discuss this, it had nothing to do with the 3rd
        nameserver.  twisted4life is something i added only a day or two
        ago; it was among the first googled.

        i haven't checked anything DNS-wise in the past day because of
        other things I Am trying to resolve.

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.90a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php