On Sat, 9 Oct 2010, Scott Ballantyne wrote:

Hi Tim,

You write:
I finally kldload(ed) snd_* and went through the list of the loaded
modules until I eliminated useless loaded modules and found the one that
actually let the sound files play.  It was a pain in the butt, but it
worked.

What does kldstat say for your .ko loaded sound files?

The problem was partly solved by Frank's suggestion to set the default
device to 1, although I don't know why. Now I get sound through the
earphones, but not the speakers.

Look at your /dev/sndstat again, you have multiple audio devices. One of them is the HDMI output on the video card. Setting hw.snd.default_unit just selects the default unit to use for playing audio. Try the various units until you find the right one.