Hi,
Reference:

Ahmed Ossama wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Lately I was put in charge to administrate 12 FreeBSD servers, and I was
> wonder what is the best way to
> administrate/monitor/follow-up/update/patch these servers such that all
> work like a clockwise with each other with the exact same updates?
>
> I wrote few scripts that notifies me with system failure and updates,
> but I want to manage the servers more efficiently.
>
> Any advice/guide is much appreciated.

Some of my hardware hosts answer differently to 'uname -m', also I
don't want to have the same 'uname -r' on all hosts, so What I do:

Have a site wide directory of common stuff, mastered on one host,
& each host has symbolic links into its _local_ copy of /site for
stuff that's common, & each host has it own /etc/ & usr/local/etc
files for the rest.

No central /site on just one host via eg amd+nfs, as
that would be a single point of failure/ overload.

To replicate /site to all hosts I use rdist6 , (you might prefer eg
rsync) both in /usr/ports/net/

It's what suits me, but I'm not claiming it's best for others :-)

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
    Mail plain text;  Not HTML, quoted-printable & base 64 spam formats.