James Schmidt writes:

I apologize in advance for my unfamiliarity with the workings of the FreeBSD world. Out of the several hundred machines I administer I have only the one FreeBSD box, and it is considered a production server, so I don't get much chance to play around with it.

At any rate, one of the tasks I'm going to be undertaking shortly is to migrate it from 4.6.2-RELEASE-p3 to 4.7-RELEASE (and soon after that, to 4.8) and I have several questions. Actually, to be more precise, I would just like someone to verify that what I am doing is correct.

First, the overall cvsup process - I want to make sure I am doing this right, someone please let me know if any of this is incorrect or inefficient. Below is my cvsupfile:

*default host=cvsup13.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_7
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all
# added manually... collection will be filtered through the refuse file
ports-all tag=.

I should be using the RELEASE branch, and not STABLE or CURRENT, correct ?

The process I follow to cvsup is as follows:

# cd /src/cvsup
# cvsup -g -L 2 ./cvsupfile

Once that is complete, the next steps are to build the kernel and the sources - and up until now, I've always compiled the kernel the old-fashioned way (config, make depend, make, make install) - with 4.7, should I begin using the new and improved method of kernel compiling, as follows ?

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=<kernelname>
# make installkernel KERNCONF=<kernelname>
<reboot>
# make installworld

I am sorry to be asking such basic questions. I've read through the pertinent sections of the online FreeBSD manual and I *think* what I am doing is correct, but I want to make absolutely sure before I reboot the machine and end up with a kernel panic, umountable root or something equally as horrific. If anyone sees any glaring omissions or any other problems with what I'm doing, please let me know. Again, many thanks.

James Schmidt

Hello James,
There is nothing to apologize. A person can't know everything in the world. What you are doing is exactly right. By the way if you want to have some knowledge on BSD then do have a glance at the FreeBSD Handbook available at the official website. Regards

Subhro Sankha Kar
IIIT-Calcutta