You bet you can.

ssh -2 -N -f -L [localhost port]:[cvsup-server-ip]:[cvsup-server-port] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

For example:

ssh -2 -N -f -L 6000:cvsup.ca.freebsd.org:5999 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Then you'd simply change your supfile to point to localhost, and possibly use the -p [port] option on the command line to change the port to 6000.

Good luck.