Just spent some time figuring this out.

I needed to create a group and add myself to it.

But after I added myself to the group while I could "id username" my username and get the correct groups if I did a base "id" or "groups" the new group wouldn't show up. Not could I access a directory restricted to the group. Turns out I needed to invoke a new login shell from an existing command prompt or essentially shut
everything down and relogin a the console.  So I just reboot.

But owning to many years of resentment dealing with Microsoft platform I highly resent reboots. Does anyone know if it's possible to update groups in memory?

Thanks,
Chris