r...@ethic:/usr/local/etc# php -v
PHP 5.3.5 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Jan 12 2011 11:42:40) (DEBUG)
Copyright (c) 1997-2009 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2010 Zend Technologies
r...@ethic:/usr/local/etc#

        Now, as a last re-try to get my wordpress blog port going, I
        will upgrade my php5-extensions.  What should I turn on or off
        in the Makefile [or using `make config']?

        gary

for wordpress you need only worry about having mysql on in lang/php5-extensions

(possibly gd, wordpress might have some fancy image manipulation features)

I wouldn't worry about the rest for just a wp install.

you'll get the choice of mysql driver, there is a new native driver but i confess i've not modified any of my code to use this (
so i don;t use it)

Paul.