J. Porter Clark wrote:
I have an encrypted partition, /dev/da0s1d.  I can use geli
attach da0s1d and obtain a device /dev/da0s1d.eli, which is a
UFS filesystem.  All that works just fine.

I'd like to label /dev/da0s1d so that I don't have to refer to
the exact drive number, etc., which might change if I reboot
with a USB stick in the system or whatever.  But glabel puts the
label in the last sector, which is where GELI stores metadata.

You don't have to worry about this. geli uses the last sector for
its metadata and creates a device with one sector less to its clients.
The original device is 2048 sectors, the device geli provides is 2047
sectors:
moby# diskinfo /dev/md0 /dev/md0.eli
/dev/md0        512     1048576 2048    0       0
/dev/md0.eli    512     1048064 2047    0       0

There is no way for the "internal" GEOM to mess with the "external's"
metadata.

So, how do I make this work?

glabel apart from the generic device labeling, supports UFS labels which
are *part* of the filesystem, that is, you *don't* have external metadata
living in a sector outside the filesystem. Check tunefs manual page and
specifically the -L option.

HTH, Nikos