On 01/26/11 21:47, Christer Solskogen wrote:
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Dan Nelson<dnel...@allantgroup.com>  wrote:

ZFS lets you add and detach mirrors on the fly, since you're not changing
the capacity of the pool itself.  Sure, you're going to lose the contents of
the large 2TB drive, but that's sort of assumed.  You can't convert 4TB of
non-mirrored disks into 2TB of mirrored disks without losing 2TB of space.
Just make sure you have less than 2TB total used data on all volumes, and
copy the data off the 2TB filessytem onto the striped 1+1TB one before
repartitioning and adding the mirrors.

  zpool attach [-f] pool device new_device

The problem is that you cant attach a drive to a vdev that consists of
two striped disks.

All right, I see there is no way without any kind of trade-off.

My thinking was simple, I thought since the two physical 1TB disks build one joint pool of 2TB overall capacity, I could simply 'mirror' this pool to another disk of the same capacity. Is there a way to 'send' via ZFS the data of the pool to the backup disk, like a snapshot from one pool to another one?

Oliver