On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 11:53:18AM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Chad Perrin <per...@apotheon.com> wrote:
> >
> > You'd surely be happier with a better OS on it, though -- right?
>
> Chad, on the "Desktop", I'd rather run the ratware from Redmond than try
> FreeBSD! The second choice would be Linusware (not that I know much about
> it, but just because "it" seems to support certain aspects which would
> otherwise be painful to get to work with FreeBSD). Third option is PC-BSD
> (which is what you mean with "better OS"). All my servers run FreeBSD
> though. The "better OS" is not so better at the Desktop, hence the choice of
> ratware:-)

You clearly have a different opinion of what constitutes a good OS than I
have.  I prefer a desktop/laptop OS that is stable, reasonably securable,
and productivity enhancing.  I do not find immense and unnecessary bloat,
a fundamentally broken approach to things like privilege separation, and
a GUI so pervasively bound to interfere that CPU can spike to near 100%
just by moving the mouse across the screen to meet those needs.

Perhaps the fact that I use my desktop/laptop systems for things like
writing code and articles rather than playing Guild Wars all day colors
my perceptions.