On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Fred wrote:

There's a downloadable version of the software on the site. If that works acceptably, the final hurdle would be whether it can communicate with the programmer by USB. The site says it's USB 2.0 and installs drivers on Windows, which doesn't bode well for the Wine/FreeBSD setup. It may work, although you have to expect that any support call will blame problems on the non-standard setup.

I downloaded the programmer software and wine installed it without any problems (350 MB!). The software seems to run ok so far under wine. So the remaining issue is the USB connection. I found the USB port in /dev but to make the link I also need to know what Windows calls the USB port so the programmer software can find it. If one plugs a non-storage USB device into Windows without installing any specific driver, what does Windows call the USB port?

If the device shows up as a USB serial port (/dev/cuaU0) , it can be linked to a Wine com port, as shown here: http://wiki.freebsd.org/AVR/ArduinoWINE

Don't know about other types of devices.