On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Xn Nooby wrote:

I downloaded the "alternative testing" ubuntu-based version of
Clonezilla, and it appeared to backup my FreeBSD machine. It
identified my filesystem as UFS.  I will wipe the drive and try a
restore later tonight.   It said it was backing up 30GB of files,
which seemed odd for a fresh install.  The backup was 7.5GB.   There
is a lot of good info in this thread, so I will be experimenting with
the various methods discussed. It sounds like I really need to learn
about dump/restore.

Pardon if I've mentioned this already, but I have an article called "Backup Options For FreeBSD" at http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/backup.html

It covers variations of dump/restore, and also mentions Clonezilla and dd and their advantages and disadvantages. Feedback welcome.