Quoth David Brodbeck on Tuesday, 22 February 2011:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Chad Perrin <per...@apotheon.com> wrote:
> > Just do us all a favor; don't write code in bash.

What's with all the bash bashing?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

> Yeah, I try to avoid bash-specific syntax unless it's for one-off
> scripts.  csh suffers the same kinds of problems; I only write csh
> code under extreme duress, like when forced to maintain the
> system-wide csh.login script. ;)

At least sh scripts will execute correctly under bash -- they don't
always under csh/tcsh.

I like zsh for a command-line shell, but when writing scripts for general
usage I stick with the sh-compatibile subset of capabilities, and I enforce
that on myself with the #!/bin/sh shebang.  If I need more than what that
can gracefully do, I usually run to the arms of Ruby.

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden | sterl...@camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://chipsquips.com  | http://camdensoftware.com   | http://chipstips.com