On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, John Levine wrote:

It's not as automated as the Windows approach, but if you know what
you're doing it's mostly limited by the speed of the disks. ...

Unlike "Windows", UNIX gives you the ability to create a fully
programmable automated approach according to your needs, e. g. for
multiple installations, defective systems can be booted via LAN, USB
or CD, ...

Of course.  But the more interesting question is whether anyone's done
that, e.g., a script to put dumps and a description of the disk setup
on a backup device, and a boot image that will take the description
and the dumps and put them back.  As far as I know, nobody has.

Sometimes called "bare-metal restore". The tools are there, but I haven't seen it done with FreeBSD, either. Handling media changes might be a little tricky for, say, a multi-DVD restore. And of course it should have a suitably scary "This will destroy the system you are running!" warning.