At 20:19 31/03/2011, Gary Dunn wrote:

Can someone point me to an official position statement on this ban on GPL3 code in FreeBSD? Doesn't seem right to me. And please, no GPL flame wars.

Don't know if there were an official Some links that may be interesting:

http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd9.html "CLANG / LLVM compiler" entry

http://www.links.org/?p=518  "Will GPLv3 Kill GPL?"

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#v2v3Compatibility "GPLv2 compatible with GPLv3?"

http://www.bsdcan.org/2010/schedule/events/175.en.html

Apple and some other companies made the switch from gcc to llvm some years ago, in Apple case, because gnu/fsf forced to make all objective-c compiler developed by Apple for gcc open source, because gcc was GPL (http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1390172)

Resuming, or my resume, GPLv3 is politically incorrect for a BSD project, it's preferred BSD tools, made by BSD community for BSD community and (as licence allows it) by extension everyone than GPLv3 tools made for GNU/FSF and (as licence don't permit share) only for them.

HTH