On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, Chris Rees wrote:

On 2 Apr 2011 00:08, "Warren Block" <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to mount a dump(8) dumpfile?  restore(8) obviously knows
everything about the file structure, and restore -i is nearly a read-only
mount_dump already.

Restore -i isn't really anything like a mount; it works on a stream (which is
why it works on tapes and stdin) where the first but is the file list, telling
restore how far to skip to
get the file. This is why ls is fast on it, but when you tell it to restore it
then takes a little time.

Sorry, I didn't explain very well. Use mdconfig to create a device backed by a dumpfile. Then factor out the code from restore to treat that layout as a filesystem. Conceptually, it'd be similar to
mount_cd9660.

Which is another way to ask the question: does anything besides restore(8) understand the dumpfile format? libarchive does not, unfortunately.

If you want proper interactive backups, I'd respectfully suggest you start using rsync incremental backup, for which I have a script sy home I'd you're interested.

It's malus versus citrus, but it's always interesting to see alternate approaches.