--As of May 26, 2011 7:46:10 PM -0400, Chris Hill is alleged to have said:

I'm looking to build a NAT / DHCP box for a lab network for my company.
My question is, how do I estimate the amount of RAM the machine will need?

This box will be running isc-dhcpd, doing NAT either via natd or pf, and
not much else. I expect the amount of traffic (throughput) to be very
small, but the address space involved is quite large, at least by my
standards. It seems to me that this will require potentially large
amounts of memory for routing tables, etc., but not much disk.

I'll be installing the latest -RELEASE; 32-bit if I can, 64-bit if I
must, depending on how much memory it looks like I'll need. I may also
install webmin for the benefit of my computer-literate-but-not-unix-savvy
coworkers.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Just to give a low-end on this:

My home firewall is a custom-kernel NAT/DHCP box, using pf. It's running on a Soekris box, using a RAM disk for logs. Total RAM in the box is 64MB. Avalible RAM (minus the RAM disk) is under 30MB. I usually run with over 10MB of RAM free. It also runs an FTP proxy (outbound, to allow stuff through the firewall) and a miniunpdp deamon.

Even with the full kernel, and a few thousand users, I'd be absolutely amazed if a GB of RAM isn't well more than enough. Even half a GB should be more than enough. I'd expect a higher-end Soekris box would be plenty, in fact...

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.