W. Sierke wrote:

Hi,

In the course of trying to resolve a problem with sendmail (refusing to
deliver even local mail), I saw a note in the sendmail configuration docs
which says "host localhost must resolve to 127.0.0.1". However, when I
checked my system I instead found (details obscured):

# host localhost
localhost.my.domain is a nickname for my.domain
my.domain has address 202.x.x.x

Someone suggested I check localhost.:

# host localhost.
Host not found.

I'm not (wasn't) running a nameserver, my host.conf contains the entries hosts and bind in that order, resolv.conf has a single, automatic (from PPPoE) nameserver entry which works, hostname is set to this_machine.my.domain.

hosts contains
::1 localhost.my.domain localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost.my.domain localhost
192.168.100.1 this_machine.my.domain this_machine
192.168.100.2 another_machine.my.domain another_machine

Your #/etc/hosts file should read for IPv4 localhost 127.0.0.1 localhost.Your_local_domain.com localhost

There should be another line in #/etc/hosts your host
192.168.100.1    My_host.Your_local_domain.com My_host

You can add as many lines as you want. with IP address, hostname, nickname.

-Ryan