James Long writes:

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:02:04PM +0200, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:

The 4.6 CD installs OK, but it does not recognise the on-board PHYs....

Drop an Intel (fxp) NIC in there temporarily, install, cvsup sources, and update the OS to 4-STABLE. I bet then it'll recognize the Broadcom, you can change /etc/rc.conf to initialize bge0 or whatever instead of fxp0, and then remove your Intel NIC.

James,

I'd love to - I just don't have any 64-bit PCI NIC cards lying about :( The MoBo in this box has 5 or 6 PCI slots, but they are ALL 64-bit.

I also noticed another poster raised the same problem a few days ago using 4.7. Do you know of a specific patch to the bge driver which is in -STABLE, or was this suggestion really just a best guess suggestion?

BTW: my question sounds cheeky - but I mean it sincerely.

Thanks,
Patrick.