On Wed, 29 Jun 2011, per...@pluto.rain.com wrote:

Steve Polyack <kor...@comcast.net> wrote:

... An occaisional fat-finger in /etc/fstab may cause one to
end up in single-user mode ... some of these systems have a LOM
(lights-out management) controller which shares the system's
on-board NICs ... when the system drops out of init(8) and into
single-user mode, the links on the interfaces never come up,
and therefore the LOM becomes inaccessible.

... all one has to do is run ifconfig to cause the NIC's links to
come up ... why do we have to run ifconfig(8) to bring the links
up on the attached interfaces?

When trying to troubleshoot a problem that was known or suspected to
involve the network or its hardware, one might not _want_ the NICs

Well, maybe, but if the system needs to boot into multi-user mode for the LOM to be available, what is the need for the LOM? At that point you can do everything you might need through the OS interface. Can I ask what is the brand of this so-called LOM? Is there any documentation implying something more useful? Do they describe doing a bare metal install of an
OS?

Daniel Feenberg