Hello. I am a beginner with FreeBSD (I have 5.0 DP2) and I compiled a kernel,
starting from the GENERIC configuration file. Didn't change anything in the ata
section, except I took out the tape device and the ATA_STATIC_ID (as a last thing when
I didn't know what to do anymore). The problem is at boot time, it waits a while for a
slave drive, which never existed. Other than that, it works just fine. The master
drive is a really old one, here are the prints of some commands:

# dmesg | grep ata
atapci0: <Intel ICH2 ATA100 controller> port 0xf000-0xf00f at device 31.1 pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ata0-slave: timeout waiting for interrupt
ata0-slave: ATA identify failed
ad0: 2060MB <SAMSUNG WN321620A (2.16 GB)> [4186/16/63] at ata0-master WDMA2

# atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
    Master: ad0 <SAMSUNG WN321620A (2.16 GB)/FN101> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
    Slave:   no device present
ATA channel 1:
    Master: no device present
    Slave:   no device present

# atacontrol mode 0
Master  = WDMA2
Slave    = ???

     I took out from device.hints the references to ata, compiled the kernel without
them but the same stuff happens. It's not a big deal, the waiting, but I'd like to
know what did I do wrong, cause this isn't happening with the generic or the debug
kernel. Thank you, bye.