To: "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc: "Jerry" <je...@seibercom.net>
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: Help with Bind Weirdness & Logging

On 8/5/2011 10:55 AM, Jerry wrote:
On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:25:13 -0700
Drew Tomlinson articulated:

On 8/5/2011 9:40 AM, Mark Felder wrote:
On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 11:15:21 -0500, Drew Tomlinson
<d...@mykitchentable.net>  wrote:
Just recently, I noticed that my server can't resolve for some
names.  The ones I've noticed are for Microsoft domains,
specifically go.microsoft.com and time.windows.com.  For example:

What kind of firewall stuff are you doing? Is it possible you're
dropping the DNS
replies when they're TCP? This happens when the reply is a certain
size.
Thanks Mark.  That may have something to do with it.  I upgraded my
wireless router to a Linksys E3000 a couple of days ago which is also
my "firewall".  This thing is a piece of crap!  Lots of weirdness
regarding port forwarding.  Some works.  Some doesn't.  Tech support
is worthless.  I'm going to take it back and exchange for another.
Hopefully a new one will work right.

Anyway, put my previous router/firewall back in place and now my DNS
server is able to resolve.  Thus the firewalling thing was likely the
problem.

Any ideas on how to get Bind logging going?
I have experience with both the E3200 and E4200 models. I have not
worked with an E3000 before though. In any case, they are both
Wireless-N routers. FreeBSD does not play well with "N" wireless
devices. In any case, have you tried doing a hard reset of the router
and then rebooting it and then you system?

In regards to tech support, at least in my experience with Linksys, if
you don't ask a specific question you are not going to get anywhere. I
have found e-mail support to be better or even the live support if
available. In any case, you can and I have requested a new support
representative and have received one. Sometimes it is just the
individual whom you are talking to cannot understand the question
correctly.

Thank you Jerry.  In my case, the FreeBSD boxes are hard wired so I don't
think this will be a problem.  I use the wireless for two Windows laptops,
a Lexmark printer, and a Motorola Droid X.

My specific issues with the E3000 were that even though remote management
was properly configured and enabled, I could not access it remotely via
https.  I even tried disabling to SPI firewall with no success.  Also in
the single port forwarding, I had enabled the predefined SMTP service to
point to my FreeBSD box on my local LAN.  This worked.  However I also
enabled the predefined HTTP service to the same FreeBSD box and it
wouldn't work.  Additionally, I tried to forward some other ports as well
like PPTP and IMAP/IMAPS but those wouldn't forward either.  Using a
packet sniffer on the PC on the Internet, I could see SYN packets leaving
my PC but no ACKs returning.  This same PC had no problems accessing all
defined services with the old router in place.

I had tried what I thought was a hard reset by pressing the reset button
on the back of the e3000 and then reconfiguring.  No luck.  However I just
read about a "30-30-30" reset on the DD-WRT wiki where you hold the reset
for 30 sec, then power off for 30 sec, and then power on with reset
pressed for another 30 sec.  I'll try that when I get home.  Otherwise
this thing is going back to the store!

Do you have any further suggestions?

Cheers,

Drew