On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Adam Vande More wrote:

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:
      Question 2 is maybe simpler.  On boot, it shows this:
       gptboot: invalid backup GPT header

      I can speculate on what causes that (whether the various g-things use the
absolute last block of the device, or the last block of their area and provide
their total minus
      one block; or it could be that gptboot is seeing the disk rather than the
gmirror device).  Can it be fixed?

This is a long standing issue that still isn't fixed to the best of my
knowledge.  The problem is with gmirror and GPT.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbu7cher.blogspot.com%2F2011%2F03%2Ffreebsd-gmirror-gpt-ufs.html&act=url

is the best I can do.

Thanks!

So it's cosmetic, but not really the kind of message that instills confidence. gptboot needs to be able to tell if it's reading from a gmirror. Or gmirror should provide one block less than it does, so it doesn't overwrite the GPT backup.