Now I must point out that I tested hitting the cancel button in the kbdmap command. It worked in that no keymap= statement was inserted into /etc/rc.conf but it must also make some other changes some where else in the system because if you do select an entry from the kbdmap database and them remove the keymap= statement that was inserted into /etc/rc.conf and then reboot the system, it will hang on reboot.

Another point of interest is when selecting "cancel for the default keyboard" still results in the block of 9 keys above the arrow keys to not function. Issuing the "man cmd_name" command does display the man page, but the {Page up, Page down keys } don't work. Also when using the "ee" edit command the {delete, Page up, Page down don't work. There may be more system utility commands with the same flaw.

This may indicate that the default keyboard map in kbdmap command has changed, is not the same as in previous releases or some thing else in the 9.0 system has changed. In either case this needs research.

Joe

I continued to research this problem and found the cause.
The content of 9.0 /etc/ttys has changed, (IE; cons25 is now xtern).
I have some changes in ttys on 8.2 and I just copied that file over to 9.0 without looking at the content. The block of 9 keys above the arrow keys now work correctly.