On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:09:34AM -0500, Dan Nelson thus spake:
In the last episode (Oct 31), Damien Fleuriot said:
On 30 Oct 2011, at 16:45, Modulok <modu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> List,
>
> Goal: Automatically logoff users that are idle after 'x' minutes.
>
> Attempt: I added this to /etc/login.conf to the default login class:
>
>    :idletime=10m:
>
> I then rebuilt the database:
>
>    cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf
>
> Problem: It doesn't work. The 'w' command shows users idle for 20
> minutes or more.  I'm missing something.  Other than an autologout shell
> variables, how do I force idle users to logout?

Are these users that logged in after or before your change ?

Obviously the idle timeout only applies to users who logged in after you
adjusted the value and rebuilt the db.

Actually, the idle timeout is not implemented in the base system.  It's
there in case someone writes a 3rd-party module that does idle detection.
See the login.conf manpage:

RESERVED CAPABILITIES
    The following capabilities are reserved for the purposes indicated and
    may be supported by third-party software.  They are not implemented in
    the base system.
[...]
    idletime          time                Maximum idle time before logout.

You may want to look into /usr/ports/sysutils/doinkd for this. I use it on
many systems, and it works remarkable well, and it is highly configurable.

-jgh

--
Jason Helfman
System Administrator