On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Michael Ross wrote:

Moin,

Morsche,

I'm setting up a system on an external USB drive,
serving as fallback in case of a server failure:

Customer takes USB drive, plugs it into any of his PCs and boots of it.

Now I am looking for a good method to configure the network:

I could just start dhclient on any NIC which could possibly be there,
thus cramming rc.conf with
        ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
        ifconfig_em1="DHCP"
        ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
and so on.

Or I could grep ifconfig or dmesg output for ethernet interfaces and dhclient these.

Both sound like a very messy solution.

So I would step beyond my current area of expertise, grep some source from sysinstall, bsdinstall or somewhere and do it in C. But I'm kind of hoping anybody can point me to a readymade solution yet unknown to me.

No readymade solution, just a hint for possibly keeping the mess down a bit:

The l (lower case letter L) flag to ifconfig lists all available interfaces in
a more scripting friendly fashion:

% ifconfig -l
em0 dc0 plip0 lo0 vboxnet0
%

I'd be interested in testing the results (or possible steps thereto) of your
efforts in creating a customized, bootable FreeBSD USB stick image, if that's
feasible.

MfG CoCo