On 11/18/11 15:00, William Bulley wrote:
According to Matthew Seaman<m.sea...@infracaninophile.co.uk>  on Fri, 11/18/11
at 17:41:
On 18/11/2011 21:27, William Bulley wrote:
I tried to install 9.0RC2 from the DVD ISO today.  This defaults
to using bsdinstall instead of the 8.x sysinstall.

This process gave me an error, but I'm not sure in which forum
to discuss this problem/error.  Thanks in advance.
freesd-questions@ is fine to talk about this sort of problem. At least,
initially.  Give us more detail on exactly what you did, what then
happened, (and maybe why you think that was wrong) and we can probably
help you get your system installed.

If it turns out to be a bug in the new installer rather than operator
error, then freebsd-current@ is the place to take it.
Okay, here goes.   :-)

I was loading a decent but somewhat older Dell laptop with FreeBSD
for a friend who bailed since he didn't want to bother configuring
Xorg.  Since this is fairly trivial these days, I said, "sure, I'd
do that for you" - silly me...   :-(

Anyway, do to the user requirements, I found it necessary to load
a version 9.x system on this laptop.  I burned this version to DVD:

    FreeBSD-9.0-RC2-i386-dvd1.iso

The laptop had no trouble booting from this DVD.  Unfortunately, I
forgot about the new bsdinstall program.  I was dubious but it seemed
to start out okay.  I had some User Interface issues with the Manual
disk partition screen, but that is a matter of taste or a feature
request, and not the bug.

Everything progressed just fine as the various *.txz files were
loaded, checked and installed.  Or so it seemed...

As the progress bar moved to the right toward 100% completion, a
window popped up telling me that it (bsdinstall) could not handle
the base.txz (BTW, what does the suffix ".txz" mean?) - it could
not uncompress it and said something about "unable to write" and
the string was something like: "var/base.txz" (note the lack of
a leading slash in front of "var").

It asked me if I wanted to continue or restart and I said "yes",
but the bsdinstall started over from scratch and failed in the
same manner.

Unfortunately I had to bail on the attempt...   :-(

Prior to this, I had loaded and configured 8.2-RELEASE and had
upgraded it to 8.2-STABLE.  I csup'd the ports tree and built
enough ports to run Xorg.  And I got X11 running after a bit.

But when I tried to upgrade again to 9.x (anything) I ran into
problems there (slips my mind why at present) which led me to
trying the FreeBSD-9.0-RC2-i386-dvd1.iso approach.  What a mess...   :-(

Regards,

web...

   Have you tried installing with "ACPI" disabled.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/bsdinstall-install-trouble.html#Q3.10.2.1.

     this also may be of some help:
     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/bsdinstall-partitioning.html