I have run a lot of different FreeBSD systems off (fileservers, firewalls,
routers, etc.) off of compact flash cards[1] and have never had a CF part fail.

Most of these were read-only mode, but some of them were left mounted 'rw' for
years (with no swapping, of course).  The bottom line is, they never
failed, and some were (and are) in the field for over 8 years now.

But everyone I know (including me) has had an SSD fail, usually with no
explanation.

So is this just chance, or ... are CF cards really a lot more reliable than SSD
?

It's sloppy, but I never once considered mirroring my CF boot devices, and now
in 2011 I am actually buying two *different* SSDs to put into a boot mirror
because I am afraid of mirroring identical ones and they both die at identical
times.

Comments ?

[1] Plain old store-bough Sandisk parts - so a good brand, but nothing special