Janos Dohanics wrote on 02.01.2012 11:04:
On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 07:18:53 +0100
Marco Steinbach <c...@executive-computing.de> wrote:

Janos Dohanics wrote on 31.12.2011 19:56:
Buildworld stopped with this error (with updated source):

[...]
cc "-O3"  -DNEED_SOLARIS_BOOLEAN
[...]
I have posted the build log at
http://wwwp.3dresearch.com/ALMAVIVA2011123101_buildworld

Would you please advise?
Quoting /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf:

# CFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C code.
# Note that optimization settings other than -O and -O2 are not
# recommended or supported for compiling the world or the kernel -
# please revert any nonstandard optimization settings to "-O" or "-O2
# -fno-strict-aliasing" before submitting bug reports without patches
# to the developers.

The error you're seeing is a result from using O3 for building the source in question -- At least my 8.2-STABLE ran into the same
problem, once I used O3, instead of the default '-O2 -pipe'.

MfG CoCo

Thank you, there was indeed the line CFLAGS="-O3" in make.conf, after I
have commented it out, I could build world.

I'm wondering how was my make.conf changed though; I'm sure I did not
add CFLAGS="-O3" - is it possible that one of the ports have added this?

Although, as far as I can tell, not explicitly forbidden in the porter's handbook, I think that to be highly unlikely in the case of CFLAGS.

The least I'd expect would be some kind notice, if so intrusive a change is done deliberately.

If I'd suspect a port fiddling with /etc/make.conf, I'd probably go looking for entries carrying a timestamp close to /etc/make.confs in /var/db/pkg. Of course, this largely depends on what happened in between the time of actual modification and me noticing, but I think that's the first thing I'd do.

MfG CoCo