Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 21:59:57 +1000
From: Da Rock <freebsd-questi...@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: nss_ldap and the linuxulator

I've just run into this snag again which I've resolved back in 7.x/8.1:
the linuxulator cannot handle nss lookups from ldap. I ran a search for
nss_ldap fedora 10 and simply extracted from the rpm the
libnss_ldap*.so* in the usr/lib into the corresponding directory under
/compat/linux.

One then only has to copy or setup the ldap.conf in /compat/linux/etc/
and change /compat/linux/etc/nsswitch.conf so the it will check files
and ldap as in the base.

It works a charm when you have issues like the missus with acroread and
others not working inexplicably. Run acroread from the command line will
give you the clue: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id. This
solution does fix this categorically.

I hope this helps others, but I do have one question: why isn't this
included in the ports already?

I still haven't yet figured out cups and printer selection yet, but I
have made some progress... :)

Cheers