At 00:45 31/01/2012, RW wrote:

Making it work like Ubuntu would need a lot more hardware and a lot
more work from port maintainers to support branching the ports tree. At
the moment there aren't really enough to maintain one tree.

Making a resume/summary of the thread; more hardware, time and people are needed to maintain a package system up-to-date. I have a free server (amd64 freebsd8.2p6), if i built all packages with their standard options, that's without make config, Can i upload them to the official package ftp? Should i make my own un-official ftp package server to allow others download them?

Perhaps it's not clear, this answer has ironic mode off, joking mode off and i want to collaborate making the standard packages.

When i needed the package system? When i don't want a downtime if a server must be reinstalled. Compiling everything takes too much time for non critical ports (bash, gcc4.6, ...), even at first i pkg_add important apps, when everything is working, i update them by ports.