On 03.02.2012 09:45, Mike Tancsa wrote:
On 2/3/2012 9:31 AM, Dean E. Weimer wrote:

Would I be a lot safer spending money on an eSATA card and a eSATA doc, knowing that this would give be better performance, but would prefer to
not spend any more money than I have to.

I dont have much experience with usb3 devices, but the eSata cages I
have used work very well on RELENG8 and 9.

        ---Mike

It's Looking like eSATA is going to be my pick, to be on the safe side, I could spend the $50 on a USB 3 card, and have it not work, or spend $50 on an eSATA card and another $40 for the drive doc, and cable. If the USB card doesn't work for me then I either have to deal with additional shipping and restocking fees, or just keep the card and eat the expense.

Unfortunately I live in a small town where this hardware isn't available locally, so online is my only choice.

Does anyone have any experience using the SYBA Cards on FreeBSD?
SYBA SD-SATA2-2E2I PCI SATA II: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124003

I know this isn't anything enterprise class, but this is my home system after all, and there's a point where its cheaper to just buy all my iTunes music and Movies over again than throw hardware at a backup solution. I think I have already passed that, but there are several gigs of photos that can't be replaced, and I am trying to get something a little more portable to be taken to work unlike my current method of rsync with two machines at the house.

I am using bacula instead of rsync for this, simply because my employer recently purchased a controlling interest in a small electrical engineering design firm to make sure it had priority access to get some components designed as we migrate our dieing mechanical lines into electronic. I am tasked with implementing a next to zero cost backup solution for them, and as they are Linux based on all there servers, I decided to implement a local bacula server at my house to to learn the product before setting it up for them. I am hoping to maybe sneak in some FreeBSD replacements to their Ubuntu file servers if I can (maybe FreeNAS, depending on how my tests go with installing and backing up through bacula client on it). I have already replaced their consumer firewalls with pfSense boxes running on Alix boards, which has turned out to be a huge stability and performance gain for them.

--
Thanks,
 Dean E. Weimer