Stephen Cook wrote:
On 3/2/2012 11:57 PM, Shane Ambler wrote:
On 28/02/2012 03:24, Stephen Cook wrote:
I have FreeBSD 9.0 installed as a VirtualBox guest, and I plan on
cloning it repeatedly to set up a fake network for me to toy with (e.g.
setting up clusters of replicated databases, web server pools, etc).

Another option to look at is using FreeBSD's Jails. Handbook chapter 16

Basically you can setup multiple jails on the machine that use the
kernel of the base system (so it's not an entire emulated machine) but
each jail has it's own environment, apps etc.

I read up on jails and I am impressed, I had a vague idea about them but they are apparently a lot more powerful than I thought. This will get some use from me in the future when I'm setting up real servers.

However, for what I'm currently doing, I want to stick with a bunch of VirtualBox VMs so I can simulate database failover by killing the VM in rude way, dynamically throw another "machine" into the mix, etc.

Thanks!

-- Stephen

Cloning or duplicating a running system using dump/restore

You should check out the qjail port for simple jail cloning.
Only takes 30 seconds to clone a jail.
http://qjail.sourceforge.net/

Both vm's and jails are targeted by ip address, killing one results in same outcome on the network no matter which one you use. I don't use Virtual Box but if it does not have a dump/restore function then cloning at that level is not possible.