On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, RW wrote:

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:14:20 -0400
Mike Jeays wrote:

I strongly recommend a laser printer over an inkjet even for home use. The reduced running costs and better reliability are easily worth the lack of colour, IMO.

How do they compare for light and occasional use? I'm thinking in terms of a few pages, a few times a year, so presumably the consumables become perishables.

In exactly that scenario, ink nozzles can dry out, rendering your inkjet printer inoperable. I only print every few weeks, and if I had to replace ink for every print just because it dried out, I think I might become angry. My laser printer works even after months of inactivity.

For the record, I completely agree with Mike. I also would not buy a printer that did not speak Postscript. My PS-speaking LaserJet was working as fast as I could edit /etc/printcap - no CUPS, no drivers, no ghostscript, no filters.

--
Chris Hill               ch...@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging </> ]