On Apr 23, 2012, at 11:13 AM, Dean E. Weimer wrote:
> I am running NTPD built from ports on system that has had world rebuilt
> without ntp.  After doing some port updates this morning to the latest
> OpenSSL which caused ntp to rebuild as its built against the OpenSSL port.
> ntpd now core dumps at start, in order to attempt and resolve the issue I
> tried starting ntpd with the -d switch added, at which point it loads fine
> without any problems.

If you run 'ldd /usr/local/bin/ntpd', that might be informative.

> Only option checked when doing make config on the port is the with OpenSSL
> option.

Consider not doing this-- OpenSSL has a much worse security history than ntpd
itself does.  In particular, the ASN.1 parser is infamous for trouble, such as
CVE-2012-2110.

> if I execute: /usr/local/bin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid
> The result is a signal 11 core dump.

Run gdb against ntpd and the coredump you've gotten to see the crash backtrace.
 Or run ntpd under gdb.

Regards,
--
-Chuck