All the jails wound up in the /usr/local/etc/apache22 of the only
surviving jail which is the http proxy to all the other jails.

Right before the server crashed I noticed MySQL at 100% o several CPUs
and the server was on it's knees, so I'm wondering.... was this an
attack? is it possible that Apache or MySQL moved the files??

I mean the jails are there, I'm even backing them up right now.... but
how did these directories move here?????

Anybody has ANY logical explanation???

99% - someone did moved them.
1% - hardware problem possibly memory. without this there is no way for directory to be "accidentally" moved