On Wed, 23 May 2012, Warren Block wrote:

On Wed, 23 May 2012, Lars Eighner wrote:

Whoops!  By imaginary, I meant not really on the internet, but in
198.168.x.x block reserved for private netting.

This combination of things seems to work in rc.conf:

network_interfaces="lo0 re0"

That is normally not needed.

ifconfig="DCHP"
ifconfig_re0="inet 192.168.15.2 netmask 255.255.255.0"

These are variable assignments, and the second line overwrites the value assigned by the first. The first alone is preferable because DHCP will do other setup, like the route and resolve.conf.

Actually, it seems DCHP won't do it alone.  But doing without DCHP does
work.  Since I gather DCHP && the other stuff can introduce contradictions,
I'm doing without DCHP until I understand this better.

If I can get x.org to work with tty switching again, I'll further
investigate the combinations.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html