On 5/28/2012 3:08 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

On 5/25/2012 4:01 PM, Polytropon wrote:

I should have mentioned that I did the (successful) test
logging in as root (real console login). If you use "su -"
or "su root", the effect should be the same. You can always
check the success of your operation with the "ls -lo" command.

Nope.  That was the problem.  I had logged in on the vty as normal user
and done su root.  Had to back all the way out and log in on the vty as
root to make it work.

I'm going to guess that you did 'su root', not 'su - root'.  The two commands
are *NOT* identical.   'su root' does not run the root 'login' scripts; thus
environment variables (including path, user, logname etc.) are *not* set as
they are on root login -- this causes some 'am i root' tests to fail.  OTOH,
'su - root' should be equivalent to a root login in all respects.

ahhhhhhh.. Thank you.  That explains a number of things.

Gary