At 10:54 AM 5/29/2012, Warren Block wrote:
Recently I rearranged partitions on an SSD. The swap partition was eliminated in favor of a swap file on /usr. This works, allows TRIM support on the swap space, and is easier to resize than a partition.

However, sometimes the system panics on shutdown. It happens after "syncing disks", so the filesystems are fine, but it's disconcerting.

I suspect but haven't yet managed to prove that it's only when swap is not empty. A race condition involving when the filesystems are unmounted? Or should there be some code in /etc/rc.d/addswap to run swapoff before shutdown?

This is on a very recent 9-STABLE amd64, i5 2500K.

rc.conf:
swapfile="/usr/swap/swap"

Did you remove the old swap file entry from /etc/fstab?

-Derek

believed to be clean.