Hello all.

I am sorry if the question is too basic.

I have a personal small machine running

        FreeBSD 7.3-PRERELEASE #0:

It runs as my web and email server for a cuple of domains. NO clients no other users have access to it.

Is there any , easy/faster way to stop POP3 from being working. I am running qpopper to be able to download emailes. I decided to use sendmail since only a few accounts are there and I do not need more but in the last days the server has been under a big attack where people is trying to guess users and passwords. I am using a strong schema of passwords so no problem on that but I rather to be sure .

I was thinking on the following options.

- Stopping the service, port 110 to respond and open it everytime I want to download email. - Install a firewall and block all the IP's but they are trying from a lot different ones. - Maybe changing the port for pop3 and change all my devices to use another port?

In case I need to start from zero and install a newer version I can do it, no problem at all but I am not sure if that helps to do things a easier way. Maybe install a complete different schema of sending receiving email (perhaps do not use sendmail to send , change to postfix and use IMAP instead of pop3. Would that help?

Thank in advance for all your comments and help.

Jorge Biquez