On Thu, 31 May 2012, Oscar Hodgson wrote:

That helps.  Thank you.

This is an academic departmental instructional / research environment.
We had a great relationship with Sun, they provided great
opportunities to put Solaris in front of students.  Oracle, not so
much, and the Oracle single-tier support model simply isn't affordable
for this "business" (there's no ROI at the departmental level <g>).
Solaris is not a viable option.

FreeBSD looks like the next best available option at the moment,
particularly considering the use of the storage heads as compute
machines.  OpenIndiana shows promise.  Nexenta has a great product,
but the user community expects more flexibility in software options.

Is there anything like a list of "supported" (known good) SAS HBA's?

Most of my HBAs are LSI controllers flashed T. I'm fond of the 9211.